There are lots of articles on how to make money as a freelance writer out there. Usually, all of them list the same tips – start a blog, monetize it, become a copywriter, create guest posts, apply as a writer on some world-known websites for writers. Yes, all of these are valid and useful tips. But they are not the only ways to earn some extra cash with your writing skills.
So, how to make money by writing something you are good at?
If you are still wondering how to make money writing, this list might help you out. I’ll not include anything traditional, like for example writing articles on Medium, or something similar, as you’re probably heard about it.
These are less known but still valid options to make money writing. Some of them can get an extra buck while others might be very profitable freelance writing niches.
Just have a read and simply choose what suits you best 😉
Numerous listicle websites are ready for all types of articles that list the top 10, 15 texts. It can be quite a creative task. And it doesn’t always require niche knowledge. One can write about pop culture, movies, books, etc. For example, the Listverse site can pay writers $100 for 1,500 words. It is a pretty decent payment, so you might make money as a writer this way as well try it out.
Fill Out Surveys.
Well, it is probably not the most creative way of making money as a writer, but if there is nothing else on the horizon, it can be a valid side-job. If you need some extra cash pretty fast, look into it. Basically, you’ll need to take online surveys and get paid for that. The best websites for this type of job are SurveyJunkie and Vindale Research.
Take part in a contest.
How to make money by writing and getting exposure at the same time? Well, the most useful tip is to enter writing competitions. There are lots of all types of them, prose, poetry, fiction, or non-fiction. Some offer pretty great cash prizes. It is not a constant source of income, but you’ll get your name out there and maybe add extra credit to your reputation.
Apply for a Grant.
Another tip on how to make money as a writer is to consider writing grants. This might not be for everyone and every grant has specific requirements, but it is useful to know about such a possibility. Some a given on a good-will basis, others are to promote a particular cause or issue. Nevertheless, there are many of them, and getting one can help you live and write on your own.
If you like reading, and as a writer, you probably do, you’ll enjoy this one. You can make money freelance writing book reviews. This way, one can make their hobby one of the income sources. Of course, the text should be well-written, helpful, and insightful. But it can also be an enjoyable process. Online Book Club offers such gigs, for example. Another exciting site is BookBrowse – they are paying about $50 per 600-words review.
Become a Songwriter.
Do not worry; you won’t have to write music, only lyrics. If you are into poetry, this might be dashing writing for money side-gig. First of all, the music industry is always in need of good lyrics. Secondly, if you get good at that, it can be pretty fast to do. Here are some useful websites where one can sell their lyrics: SoundBetter and Musicbed.
Resumes and Cover Letters.
More business-related freelance writing for money is helping others with their job applications. You can work as a freelance writer or start your freelance proofreading job and build your own business or partner with an agency that offers such services. You’ll probably earn more on your own, but it would be harder to get clients at first. You’ll need to know the formal style, research specific keywords, and know how to focus on the best qualities.
eCommerce is also in constant need of content. There are two ways to do product description writing – pitch directly to a business, whether it is a small one or a corporation. The second option is to find such gigs on websites like Crowd Content. Such gigs might include descriptions of Etsy or eBay products. And there are no particular requirements to author usually unless it is a very unusual and specific product.
Ready to earn money doing something you enjoy?
I hope these tips on how to make money in freelance writing will be helpful. Of course, there are some other options as well as the well-known classic ones, like blogging.
It is quite a sustainable strategy to combine several of them to make sure that you are always earning.
- How to Blog Consistently and Efficiently?Are you planning to start a blog? Well, it is always much easier to start off. To be honest, it all seems very exciting right at the start. The real question is, how to blog more consistently? If you want people to follow you and if you want to gain greater popularity, you need to […]
- What’s ONE hidden way for coming up with great blog topic ideas?If there is something we truly know and have been through, especially when writing new and original content is that we fear that others may not like it. Content writers go through a myriad of situations in blog post ideas in which they are left scratching their heads. An that comes this “why can’t I […]
- How to find freelance writing jobs using LinkedIn?For all of those who have the skill of writing, freelance writing is a very lucrative career option since it allows most people to earn from the comfort of their own without having to go to work every day. That’s why people are searching for new and new ways to find a job. One of […]
- How to find freelance proofreading jobs online as a beginner?Many people in this day and age have started to take content writing and proofreading as careers. The world has become so technologically advanced that there is a dire need for proofreaders who can fix, edit and reshape the entire digital content that looks appealing to the reader. We know that such a need leads […]
- How to turn your blog into a business2022 is a great year to learn how to turn your blog into a business. If you’ve wanted to do it for a long time, you’ve come to the right place. I’m going to share tips that helped me and will work for you as well. Start with your brand Branding means establishing what you […]