For all of those who have the skill of writing, freelance writing is a very lucrative career option since it allows most people to earn from the comfort of their own without having to go to work every day. That’s why people are searching for new and new ways to find a job. One of these ways is using LinkedIn to find freelance writing jobs.
Freelance writing is a career where people work on different writing-related tasks. These can be any articles, blog posts, technical writing, copywriting, and so on.
With freelance writing, you are your own boss. You can pick your freelance writing niche based on your timings and your expertise.
- Ways to Find Freelance Writing Jobs on LinkedIn
- Start searching for freelance writing opportunities using LinkedIn
In the current day and age, more and more people are now focusing on freelance writing as a very lucrative career. This can be seen in its growing popularity and the number of people who are willing to work as freelance writers nowadays. While many online platforms can help you get writing jobs, one of the most prominent ones is LinkedIn. LinkedIn has around 810 million members and has 57 million companies registered with it. According to statistics, 122 million people received an interview through LinkedIn, with 35.5 million having been hired by a person they connected with on the site.
Many recruiters look for suitable candidates on LinkedIn by matching their credentials and skill sets with what they are looking for in an ideal candidate. Many writers have also landed great freelance writing jobs using the platform. If you are wondering how to find freelance writing jobs using LinkedIn, continue reading here!
Ways to Find Freelance Writing Jobs on LinkedIn
LinkedIn is all about connecting the right people to each other. In the video below, author has shared her ideas and tips on how to find freelance writing jobs using LinkedIn. Feel free to check it, before you go forward to my personal tips.
Now let’s move forward with the ways that can help you our finding the right freelance writing jobs on LinkedIn.
Using these ways, you can kickstart your writing career by finding just the type of jobs that you are looking for.
Using Keywords in your Profile
Update your profile by using keywords that describe what you do. That way, recruiters will be able to easily find you as a LinkedIn content writer. For example, you can include keywords like “freelance writer LinkedIn”, “freelance business writer jobs”, “LinkedIn writers” and so on.
Depending on your goals and the type of work that you are looking for, you can add keywords, and then you can see how much easier it is for recruiters to find you. When companies are looking for writers for their tasks, they use keywords to search and shortlist profiles that seem relevant. So, if you do not want to use other websites to create a writer’s portfolio, start off with your LinkedIn profile first. It is what tells the other person the most about you.
Follow Brands You Want to Write For
If you have some specific brands or businesses that you want to be writing for, then make sure to follow them on LinkedIn. They can only have some interest in you if you follow them. That is the only way that they will come across your profile. When you follow them, their posts will also show up on your feed, and when you see something relevant, you can immediately reply to that.
Such a tactic is a great option, especially for niche-specific freelance writers who will search for a job using LinkedIn.
I knew several comedy writers who used LinkedIn comments to get in touch with potential employers, and one of them blossom out. And yes, he used to communicate in a funny manner, so if you are looking for a comedy writing job, you can use this trick as well.
Write Articles on LinkedIn
It’s pretty the same as the usage of Medium.com for writers. It’s a great idea to use LinkedIn as a free platform to write a few samples. This can help you showcase your writing skills to prospective employers, who can then take a good look at your work before they hire you. Create industry-specific samples so that you can show them exactly what your writing is all about. But make sure to write great samples and share your expertise. Do not need to use LinkedIn to share your latest trip to New York. Okay, my bad, this might work, if you are looking for a job as a freelance travel writer.
Check Who Viewed Your Profile
Always check to see who has been viewing your profile. The people who have been viewing your profile recently are looking for LinkedIn freelance writers. Getting in touch with them can be very useful since they are your prospective employers. When you get in touch with them, your chances of landing a job are naturally much higher then.
Browse Available Job Postings
LinkedIn has a separate section for available job postings. You should go through that section regularly to see what writing jobs are available. If you find something that seems remotely relevant to your writing type, apply there. You never know what might turn out to be good for you.
Create a Special Piece for the ‘Featured’ Section
Recently LinkedIn has added a section that is called Featured. Using the section, you can select the best three pieces. You can use that to have people learn more about how you work. Not many freelancers have this feature open. If you try to get this done for you, you will see how quickly you get connected to those looking to get certain writing tasks done.
Start searching for freelance writing opportunities using LinkedIn
With these useful tips in mind, you can surely land great writing opportunities for yourself. The more you get into it, the more you will love the idea of being a freelancer. The best part about it is the liberty that comes with it.
Unlike other jobs, you choose what you want to do, how much you want to charge for it, and when you can deliver. You just need to be strong-willed, and you need to know what you are capable of. Will Self talked about freelance writing, saying
The life of the professional writer – like that of any freelance, whether she be a plumber or a podiatrist – is predicated on willpower. Without it, there simply wouldn’t be any remuneration, period.Will Self
With freelance content writing, the best part is that you are always learning. Every time that you get a new topic to work on, you have to conduct in-depth research for it. Sometimes, you also have to venture into areas that aren’t part of your area of expertise. What that does is that it teaches you so much. Laura Spencer talked about freelancing as a career saying:
No matter how much experience you have, how many degrees you have, or how well known you have become — there is always something new to learn. Don’t rest on your past experiences. If you do nothing to improve your skills, you won’t stay where you are.Laura Spencer
Real-Life Example of LinkedIn usage
I have a friend who was great at writing, but an office job was not her cup of tea. Her name is Helen, and I guess she’ll understand that this is her story by reading this part of my story. Cheers to Helen 😉
With two young children, she had to manage household chores too. She explored all her options, only after which she decided that she would begin freelance writing to earn. Helen used to ask me how to find freelance writing jobs, and I suggested that LinkedIn is a platform that she could explore. She got so many projects from this platform. Helen chooses which ones to take based on the time she has on hand, and how she can work based on her busy schedule. She chose to give LinkedIn a go as a fluke, and it turned out so well for her.
Where to Start?
So if you plan on starting, then the first thing that you should do is to find out what your freelance writing niche is. Remember that if you take this on as a career then you need to make sure that it is not just interesting to work on, but also profitable at the same time.
First just try to find areas that you can write on, and content that people are willing to read. For example, you could write dating profiles for people. All of those who are looking to connect with the right people can take help from you. that way, you are selling your expertise based on the demand around.
Similarly, you can write articles about current affairs. People are mostly interested in reading about what is happening in the world in terms of politics. So try to work on something that you think people will like. The idea is to write on something that sells.
Hence, if you are thinking of starting your career as a freelance content writer, then don’t wait any longer. Use LinkedIn to your benefit, and you will see how many projects you land all at once. This platform has helped many freelancers kickstart their careers.
- Scouting Talent: My Two Cents on Where to Find Stellar Blog Writers!Unravel the mystery of finding the perfect blog writer for your needs with our comprehensive guide. Explore top platforms for hiring freelance writers and learn from the pros about their best practices. Plus, gain insight into the world of blog writing, costs, and why you might consider hiring a professional team.
- Where To Find Free Images For Your Blog: 10 Best WebsitesAre you searching for ways to add visually-appealing images to your blog without breaking the bank on expensive stock photos? Our article offers a detailed list of websites where you can find top-quality images for free, as well as valuable advice on how to select and incorporate them into your blog content. Whether you need striking nature photos or authentic human portraits, we’ve got you covered. Start crafting captivating blog posts today!
- Content is King, But Editing is the Crown: Why Marketers Need Copy Editors?In the fast-paced world of marketing, producing high-quality content quickly is a must. But in the rush to get content out the door, mistakes can happen. That’s where copy editors come in. By reviewing and revising content, they ensure that it is accurate, engaging, and on-brand. In this article, we explore why copy editors are essential for marketers, and how they can help improve the quality and effectiveness of your written content.
- From Generalist to Expert: The Advantages of Writing in a Specific NicheAre you thinking about focusing your writing in a specific niche? Good news – writing in a specific niche can be super beneficial for several reasons. From becoming an expert in a particular subject to attracting a loyal reader base and opening up new opportunities, writing in a specific niche has many benefits. Plus, it can just be more fun that way.
- 50+ Most Profitable Blogging Niches With Low Competition in 2023Everybody who’s willing to make money blogging wants to know what are the most profitable blogging niches with low completion in the year 2023. Soooooo…let’s figure it out.