In the age of social media, using jargons and short forms has really changed the way we communicate. Often a time, we even interchange slang words and sometimes, they may not even make any sense. But even when it comes to slang words, they need to make sense given how we casually use them in our day to day conversations now.
We use slang words in not just our social media conversations, but also when we are talking to someone in person. But even in that case, you need to be sure of what these words mean or how they are to be represented, so your communication makes sense.
So, in this piece, I am going to talk about the difference between these four words: yay, yeah, yea and yayayay. By the end of this article, you would realize that these tiny things make a huge difference. Of course, they do. We always knew that. The trivial details DO matter. So let’s just focus on the details here.
Let’s Start with ‘Yay’
YAY! I finally got my degree!
Now that makes sense, yes? That’s it. That is the way you use yay. ‘Yay’ is a word. I mean, even Microsoft Word accepts it and does not create a red line underneath.
Anyway, moving on. People use the word yay to show their enthusiasm for something. Like I did in the first sentence of this heading. You not use the word yay or interchange it with yea or yeah. Yay has a different meaning of its own. Now what does yay mean in texting?
Sometimes people use it in sarcasm – when they are not excited about something and have to show their excitement forcefully (which is just mean btw…) or when someone is genuinely happy for you or something.
When do we Use ‘Yeah’ and how?
“Yeah ya. I get what you mean.”
This is a common one. Sort of common knowledge, I would say. But let’s just talk about it for the sake of clarity. The ‘yeah’ is like the way we learn to acknowledge something when we are in our teen hours. It is not to be used in any celebratory manner or for an event. Basically, it is slang for the word ‘yes’.
And what does yeah mean in texting? Simple. You agree with them. For instance, “Yeah, I agree with what you are saying,” and there’s that. Period. Nothing complicated.
Yea Vs Yeah – When to Use what?
So imagine you are in for a quick voting session. Your boss or coordinator says, “People in favor say yea and those against say nay”, so that’s when you differentiate between a yea and a yeah. Basically, a yea is an informal yeah. Proper slang word people use in informal, quick conversations.
At the same time, yea CANNOT be confused with yay. Yay is an expression for excitement, whereas yea is a yes. On the other hand, while yea is mostly informal, Microsoft Word also recognizes it and does not indicate it as incorrect.
So yea, you can use it when writing articles and content. Depends on the tone of the piece.
Now, this is the one which MS Word gladly labels as incorrect and offers a weird autocorrect. But let’s not get into it.
So the Urban Dictionary believes that there are two ways to use yayaya and I agree. The first way is when people want to repeat something someone just said. For instance, “yayaya I get what you mean and what about it?” and in the same way can be used in sarcasm as well.
The other use is when you are SUPER excited about something and cannot stop typing ‘yay’. For example, “I have finally saved up enough money to buy a car!! Yayayayaya!” and there’s that.
The thing about slang words is that we love to use them and we have gotten quite used to using them in our regular conversations as well. But just like any form of communication, they need to make sense. Regardless of in what context you are using them, it just needs to make sense.
So there you have it — some common slang words and how they can be used.
Would love to write on more similar topics, so do share your suggestions. Yep, I do love doing that!
See you all soon.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
- I can’t write anymore! Stuck with your writing?Can’t write anymore! What should I do? Every writer fears this day but eventually, we all find ourselves there. Am I stuck forever? Am I even a good writer? Stop. The answer is YES, you are a good writer. And NO, this block won’t last forever. Writer’s block is a common occurrence among all authors, […]
- How to earn money being a comedy writer? Awesome comedy writing jobsComedy is an art that can become a full source of income. And you do not have to be a standup comedian for that. After all, not everyone is comfortable in front of the crowd. But what about comedy writing? What if you love humor? There are still many career options on comedy that do […]
- Entry level writing jobs (Where to write as a beginner?)Starting your freelance writing career is arguable the most challenging part. Before you get that desirable first order, it might seem like a hopeless case. Where do you find clients? How easy is it to fulfill the requirements? Are there enough gigs for everyone? The truth is, there is plenty of entry level writing jobs […]
- How to choose a niche for your writing careerAs a freelance writer, you can be either a generalist or specialist. Generalists do not have a niche and usually take any type of gig they find interesting. Of course, it can be a good starting point to gain some experience and develop skills. But if you want to make more money and build a […]
- 7 ways to monetize a blog today, tomorrow & beyond!There is no doubt nowadays that blogging can provide a decent income. And if done right, it can be a full-time sustainable job. So how to monetize a blog? Well, there are several ways one can do it. I’ve gathered 7 options that work for almost any blogger whatever niche they choose to take. Blogging […]